Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Look for Ways to Be Humbled

One last word on pride from last week's posts. I've mentioned before that my wife and I had a baby at the beginning of this month. In just a little over 3 weeks, he has taught me an important lesson about pride. Before he was born, I'd taken time to read a lot of books on caring for babies. I tried to read things that represented a wide variety of viewpoints and techniques. And now that he's here, I implement a lot of that knowledge when he's crying or when taking care of him in this or that way. And sometimes it works. That's a great feeling, when you try something that's supposed to soothe a screaming baby and it works. It's a huge ego boost to be able to calm our baby. But other times, I go through my list of things to try and nothing seems to help. I think to myself, "wait a minute, I had this down just a few hours ago." My ego boost from the success goes flat faster than you can say "dirty diaper."

Having accomplishments at work is great. And like I've said a number of times, you need to strive to produce quality work. But don't shy away from humbling experiences. They can keep your pride in check and show you how much you depend on others and how much you depend on God.

No comments:

Post a Comment