Friday, October 14, 2011

Thoughts about Firing Employees

I had lunch with a friend a couple of weeks ago, and he mentioned a topic that he'd like to see written about on this blog. This person is a Christian and tries to live like Jesus in his workplace. He is also a supervisor. He recently had to fire an employee. My friend asked me to think about and write about one's role as supervisor having to fire someone relates to one's role as Christian.

I'm still working on that post--it's not an easy question. There's the issue of
quality work. The master who gave talents to his servants certainly expected those subordinates to work hard. And you might say he fired the one who did not. But the other side of things is the unmerciful servant. We have been forgiven so much. How can we not forgive others?

In some ways, the analogous situation for me is assigning grades, particularly near the end of the semester when I know that assigning a particular grade will cause a student to fail.

It's a post that I'm still working on. What are your thoughts? If you'd rather not post them as comments, feel free to
email me. Look for the post in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment