Monday, December 12, 2011

Mercy Triumphs Over Judgment

Mercy in the workplace is not a commonly considered approach. Think about common cliches. "Dog eat dog world." "Rat race." "It's a jungle out there." Those sayings don't make me think about mercy.

But look at James 2:12-13: "Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment."


How can you show mercy to people this week? You may be perfectly in your rights to judge. But that's where this passage is particularly relevant.

This is finals week for me, so perhaps it's appropriate that I should blog about mercy. There's a lot of talk about grade inflation and holding rigorous standards. And I agree with the idea that an A should mean something, should be a reward for hard work. But I also know that I have to balance that rigor with mercy. And it's a line that I'm still trying to find--how to show grace without being a push-over.

How does mercy affect you and how you do your job?

No comments:

Post a Comment