Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Ambition

1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

In my own career, I have to admit to the temptation to want the headline accomplishments, the temptation to want everyone in my field to know my name, to respect me, to look up to me. I think it's very natural to want to be known as the best at what we do. And along with that, I think there may be a natural tendency to admire those who are in the limelight, particularly those with similar vocations to our own. But listen to what Paul says about ambition: “Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your hands…so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.” How many times have you made it your ambition to lead a quiet life, a life out of the spotlight? How many times have you striven to mind your own business? Does this praise manual labor above white collar jobs where you're less likely to "work with your hands?" I don't have an answer for that last question, particularly in our age when more and more jobs are not working with your hands. But I think the point may be in the "so" at the end. "So that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody." Lead a quiet life and mind your own business so that nonchristians will respect you. Take care of your own job and work with your hands so that you won't be a burden on anyone. Again, I think this is stressing the importance of work above idleness. I think the take away is to work in such a way that others respect you. Not the showy respect that comes with fame, but the respect that comes when coworkers see you doing what you're supposed to be doing, day in and day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment