Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Listen to Those Who Disagree With You

Job 31:13-15

In Job 31, Job is defending himself to his friends, saying he didn't do anything to deserve all of his suffering. He lists several sins that he didn't commit. Look at verses 13 and 14. "If I have denied justice to my menservants and maidservants when they had a grievance against me, what will I do when God confronts me? What will I answer when called to account?"Based on the context, Job seems to consider a failure to listen to the grievances of his servants as a sin. He explains why in verse 15: "Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?" Job says that he is not any better than his servants so why should he reject their complaints.

I've already blogged about the importance of employees disagreeing with supervisors at times. This is the other side of that: supervisors have a responsibility to listen to their employees' complaints. It can seem threatening for someone to disagree with us, but a higher position does not make you any better than someone with a lower position. They have just as much right to express themselves as you do, and in an organization, they should have just as much opportunity to pursue their goals as you do. Did not He who made you make them as well?

From this passage, listen to your employees' grievances.

No comments:

Post a Comment