Friday, June 24, 2011

Constant Improvement

One thing I think is critically important to remember is that honoring God at work isn't something that happens and then you're done. It requires constant attention. It's a daily decision rather than a one-time event.


Last week, on the one year anniversary of starting this blog, I challenged myself and all of you to do something different this week, something to honor God that you wouldn't normally do. For me, it was really focusing on work-life balance. I love my job. And like many of your jobs, there's always more to do than there are hours in the day (even during the summer). Those two things together mean that it's hard for me to "turn off" work at the end of the day. It's very easy for me to tell my wife that I need just a few more minutes, very easy to bring my laptop into the living room or dining table. If we're just going to watch TV anyway, why can't I multi-task. Well, this week, I wanted to really separate work time and family time. And for the most part, I was successful. I'll admit that Wednesday, I let things slide a bit. I had a major deadline this week, and I worked quite a bit after dinner on Wednesday. But there were other times during the week when I spent time with my wife or with our son when I could have been working. And I tried to make it quality time rather than multi-tasking time.

I've still got a way to go, on that issue and a host of others. What about you? How did you do? And if you missed last Friday's challenge, consider it a challenge for next week. How can you honor God this next week in a way that you really haven't before? For me, I think the thing that I want to focus on next is sarcasm and the way that I talk to people. What will it be for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment