Monday, June 13, 2011

Follow up on Dealing with Difficult Subordinates

Friday's post was about dealing with difficult subordinates as a Christian. I wanted to follow up on that post because I think it's anything but black and white. As a supervisor, you need people to be productive and to be focused on the organization's goals, which sometimes means you have to prod people to get them to work. At the same time, I posted last week about the importance of mercy when communicating with subordinates. It's really a balancing act, with justice on one side (giving people the rewards and punishments that they deserve so that they'll work hard) and mercy on the other side (recognizing that you have been spared the punishments you deserve and promised incredible, unearned rewards).

I think about that balance as I interact with students in my classes. It's not a perfect analogy, but in some ways, they are like subordinates. When they challenge the way that I graded an assignment, I have to balance justice and mercy. I want the class to be rigorous and an "A" to mean something. That means setting high expectations and enforcing standards when those expectations aren't met. On the other hand, let's say a student turns something in late. I want to temper that justice with mercy. Yes, I want the student to learn the importance of deadlines, but as a Christian, I want to be merciful.

It is a tough dilemma to balance these things. No doubt, sometimes I err on either side. You will also. But keeping both sides in mind is important. Micah 6:8 says to "act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God." Be just with your subordinates. But love mercy--really seek out ways that you can model mercy and forgiveness with them. Then walk humbly with God, knowing that you will not be perfect in justice or mercy. And be thankful that you have a Master who is perfect in both!

No comments:

Post a Comment